Ahlum & Arbor Tree Preservation is celebrating a huge milestone—40 years of business in the tree care industry! What started as a one-man operation in 1977 has grown into a flourishing family-owned and operated business with 33 employees and over 4,000 clients in Columbus, Ohio and surrounding areas.
In honor of the past 4 decades, we’d like to share 4 significant events that helped cultivate and shape Ahlum & Arbor into the arboricultural firm it is today. From David Ahlum’s first job in the tree industry to building a state of the art building with the capacity for future growth, you’ll learn the moves that made a difference in the company’s history.
First Tree Job
David was first introduced to the tree industry in 1971 after returning home from college and attending a family function in Quakertown, PA. David’s uncle Pete owned a tree company in town, Peckiconis Tree Service, and asked David if he needed a job—David accepted and learned the ropes of tree work.
Creation of Arbor, Inc.
David’s next job in the industry was at Breidenbach Tree Service (where he met, Lana, his wife). After several years, David bought 49% stock in the business forming Breidenbach & Ahlum Tree Service. Not long after that, he purchased the remaining 51% of shares for $4,000 and changed the business name to Arbor, Inc.
In 2004, the 2nd generation joined the family business full-time. Chris, David and Lana’s son, graduated from college and began working as a plant health care technician in 2014. He then began managing the PHC side of the business. Around this same time, the Ahlum’s decided to change the name they were doing business under from Arbor, Inc. to Ahlum & Arbor Tree Preservation to distinguish themselves from other companies.
They bought a commercial property in 2006 on Walcutt Rd. Not only did they need the right property to support the expanding business, but they needed the right type of building that could accommodate future growth. Construction did not start right away; it took years for them to agree on blue prints. During the hiatus, Ahlum & Arbor was operating out of the old location and the plot of land was used to sell mulch. Construction was completed and they moved into the new structure in February of 2014.
In hindsight, the vision that David Ahlum had in 1977 for the company’s operational standards is still alive and well today. It’s what has carried the business through the past 40 years with steady growth and a good reputation. A tree company with superior service, professional staff, and a focus on education was Dave’s vision for Arbor, Inc. since day one. Although the success of Ahlum & Arbor didn’t happen overnight, David was always stepping in the right direction.